Twelve Massillon Players Receive All-District Honors
The Ohio Prep Sportswriters Association (OPSWA) has released its 2023 Northeast Inland District All-Star Team for Division 2. Twelve Massillon players are included, with special recognition going to Da’One Owens, who was named Co-Offensive Player of the Year, and Dorian Pringle, who repeats as Co-Defensive Player of the Year. Massillon, the Region 7 champion and the No.11 nationally rated team in USA Today, remains undefeated with a 14-0 record and will participate in the state playoff semifinal game this Friday Against Cincinnati Anderson, the winner of Region 8.
(l-r) Da’One Owens (1st), Dorian Pringle (1st), Chase Bond (1st), Nolan Davenport (1st), Cody Fair (1st) and Mike Wright Jr. (1st)
(l-r) Jacques Carter (2nd), Ja’Meir Gamble (2nd), Tyler Hackenbracht (2nd), Brady Jones (2nd), Adonis Marshall (HM) and Braylyn Toles (HM)
- Da’One Owens – Senior quarterback. 3-year starter. Completed 94 of 158 passes (59%) for 1,414 yards and 17 touchdowns. Rushed 118 times for a team high 1,145 yards (9.7) and 14 touchdowns. Only Massillon quarterback to rush for over 1,000 yards. Leads the team in scoring with 86 points. Passed for 341 yards and 4 touchdowns against Grove City Central Crossing. Rushed for 241 yards and scored 2 touchdowns against Valdosta, GA. Holds several Division 1 offers.
- Dorian Pringle – Senior linebacker. 2-year starter. Leads the team with 41 unassisted tackles and has recorded 50.5 tackle points. Recorded 8.0 sacks for a team high 73 yards and team high 21.5 tackles-for-loss for a team high 114 yards. Also, carried the ball 50 times for 246 yards (4.9) and 14 touchdowns. Forced two fumbles, broke up two passes and blocked a kick. Even holds for extra points. Holds several Division 1 offers.
- Chase Bond – Senior defensive lineman. 2-year starter. Recorded 14.0 tackle points, 4.5 sacks for a loss of 33 yards and 7.0 tackles-for-loss for a loss of 39 yards. Committed to North Carolina State.
- Nolan Davenport – Junior offensive tackle. 2-year starter. Played tight end in 2022. Used principally as a blocker. Instrumental in helping his team rush for 249 yards per game (6.7 ave.) and 47 rushing touchdowns, while surrendering just 8 quarterback sacks. Holds several Division offers.
- Cody Fair – Senior inside linebacker. 2-year starter. Leads the team with 51.5 tackle points. Recorded 4.0 sacks for a loss of 25 yards and 15.0 tackles-for-loss for a loss of 52 yards. Blocked a punt. Holds several offers and will play at the next level.
- Mike Wright Jr. – Junior defensive lineman. 3-year starter. Recorded 22.5 tackle points, 8.5 sacks for a loss of 68 yards and 13.0 tackles-for-loss for a loss of 87 yards. Broke up three passes and caused two fumbles. Sacked the Canton McKinley quarterback three times. On offense, The 285 lb. running back carried the ball 24 times for 95 yards (4.0 ave.) and 6 touchdowns.
- Jacques Carter – Senior wide receiver. Caught 35 passes for a team high 738 yards (21.1 ave.) and 7 touchdowns. Caught 8 passes for 142 yards and a touchdown against Middletown, DE. Ran 50 yards for a touchdown against Green.
- Ja’Meir Gamble – Junior running back. Rushed 128 times for 893 yards (7.0 ave.) and 5 touchdowns. Rushed for 233 yards against Austintown Fitch.
- Tyler Hackenbracht – Junior defensive back. Recorded 25 tackle points, broke up 9 passes and intercepted 3 passes, which were returned for 45 yards. Returned 8 punts for 97 yards and 7 kickoffs for 179 yards, with a long of 64 yards.
- Brady Jones – Senior center. 2-year starter. Instrumental in helping his team rush for 249 yards per game (6.7 ave.) and 47 rushing touchdowns, while surrendering just 8 quarterback sacks.
- Adonis Marshall – Junior defensive back. Recorded 28.5 tackle points, 2 tackles-for-loss, 11 pass breakups, 3 pass interceptions and a recovered fumble, which he returned for 18 yards.
- Braylyn Toles – Junior wide receiver. 2-year starter. Caught a team high 42 passes for 556 yards (13.2 ave.) and 8 touchdowns. Caught 8 passes for 125 yards and 2 touchdowns against Grove City Central Crossing.