Paul Brown Tiger Stadium

Paul Brown Tiger Stadium

Football Stadium: Paul Brown Tiger Stadium; constructed in 1938-1939 as a Works Project Administration (WPA) Project under President Franklin Roosevelt; cost: $246,000; named after former Massillon, Ohio State, Cleveland Browns and Cincinnati Bengals Head Coach Paul Brown, located at the high school
Stadium Name: Originally “Tiger Stadium.”  Renamed “Paul Brown Tiger Stadium” in 1976.
Playing Surface: Field turf, north-to-south orientation
Stadium Capacity: 16,884 (prior to 1981: 21,345)
Stadium Seating: Closed fiberglass bleachers on home and visitors’ sides; open aluminum bleachers in endzones; handicap accessible seating
Features: Locker rooms on home side; press box on home side for TV/radio and coaching spotters; loge box on visitors’ side for VIPs/media and meeting room; roof covering part of home side; unobstructed field lighting; state-of-the-art scoreboard and sound system; ample on-site parking
Amenities: Restrooms and food concessions on each side; souvenir stand on home side
Events: All Massillon Tiger football games; OHSAA football playoffs; Ohio High School North-South All-Star Football Game; Massillon Tiger soccer games; Tiger Swing Band Review; Pro Football Hall of Fame Drum Corp International Competition.
First Game Played: Massillon vs. Cleveland Cathedral Latin; September 15, 1939; Coach: Paul Brown; Score: 40-13.
First Touchdown Scored at Tiger Stadium: Tommy James, HB, 39-yard run; vs. Cleveland Cathedral Latin; September 15, 1939

Stadium Improvements:

  • 1955 – Installation of new lights
  • 1955 – Replacement of all brick in west stands
  • 1967 – Installation of new scoreboard
  • 1968 – Installation of plastic seat covers
  • 1977 – Installation of new lights
  • 1979 – Attachment of message-gram to scoreboard
  • 1980 – Installation of asphalt track and fence surrounding field
  • 1980 – Reinforcement of west stands
  • 1981 – Renovation of all stands and installation of permanent end zone seats
  • 1982 – Installation of new scoreboard
  • 1983 – Installation of new scoreboard with enlarged message-gram
  • 1989 – Installation of “Omni-Sand Turf”
  • 1989 – Installation of new lights
  • 1990 – Construction of east side press box, restrooms, conference room, meeting room and maintenance facilities
  • 1990 – Installation of new concession stand on east side
  • 1992 – Installation of new scoreboard and message center
  • 1993 – Purchase of inflatable tunnel for player pre-game field entry
  • 1994 – Renovation of the locker rooms
  • 1997 – Added parking on the north side of the stadium
  • 2002 – Installation of Walk of Pride and Paul Brown statue
  • 2005 – Installation of new scoreboard
  • 2008 – Construction of Paul L. David Athletic Training Center
  • 2009 – Purchase of inflatable tiger-head tunnel for layer pre-game field entry
  • 2018 – Installation of new scoreboard / video board

Previous Facilities

North Street Field (1906-1914)

Erie Street Field / Driving Park (1914-1916)

Central Street Athletic Field / Agathon (1917-1920, 1924)

Pearl Street Field / Shriver Park (1921-23)

Massillon Field (1924-1938)